MEXICO VILLAHERMOSA MISSION -- JULY 2012 - 2014
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." 2 Nephi 31:20

Monday, December 17, 2012

America in Mexico

Today I made the trek to the local supermarket where I planned on buying a cool glass bowl. Pretty insignificant, but you learn to get excited for little things. Especially since the bowl was to make jello. Of course I bought American. It was a 1L PYREX glass bowl. It didn't have a price. Turned out it was 160 pesos (about $12 USD). Needless to say I didn't buy it since it cost more than my food for the week. Bummer, eh? Had the money, you just learn to be smarter. I'll be making jello like a Mexican then. Still need to figure out how I mean exactly.

Didn't hear about that terrible shooting in Conn. But, from the perspective of another country, violence exists, sadly, it is not something that doesn't exist. In Mexico, guns are outlawed, and surprisingly, no, I haven't seen any guns here either. But the next thing you know there will be people walking down your streets with machetes. Nacho Libre meets America! Can't wait. Is it true that America legalized marijuana as well in all 50 states? If so, the Mexicans here on the island think America is a disgrace. But, we learned that even if its a legal drug its still against the Word of Wisdom. Just goes to show calling sin good doesn't make it that way. Jacob 6:12

I also got the chance to head to Villahermosa for the Christmas reunion of the missionaries. Things came up that Elder Pack and I might not have gone but in the end I'm glad I did. Not really especially for what was said or done there (I mean we're missionaries, it wasn't exactly a party) but what happened on the way home. For one reason or another Elder Pack and I couldn't sit next to each other on the way home and I got put next to some random person. He turned out to be just that, some random kid. Se llama Angel (20). He was way cool. He is even studying to be a psychiatrist. The similarites were pretty interesting. Anyway, I had the chance to teach him. For three hours on the trip home. There we talked about everything from the Book of Mormon to the pioneers. Needless to say, we talked about a lot. He'll get baptized someday.

Keep going strong. Until next week,

Love you all,
Elder Andrews

Translation: Se llama Angel = His name is Angel.

No comments: