MEXICO VILLAHERMOSA MISSION -- JULY 2012 - 2014
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." 2 Nephi 31:20

Monday, March 24, 2014

Coatzacoalcos

The sun hits hard, but the ocean breeze takes off the kick. It's a really nice place to be.  I told Elder Smiley that every time we step outside I feel like we are going swiming because it just has that smell in the air. Although no one really swims on this part, it still holds true to its smell. 

My area may be one of the coolest in the mission seeing as you can't get to it unless you cross the river by boat. About 7 minute travel. The small boats make windy days interesting, but thankfully I only have Colitis, and it does not appear that I am as sea sick as I once thought I was. It was interesting to get in what seems to be a tiny boat with all of your suitcases and cross a giant river, but it is even cooler than it sounds. I have since crossed a few more times for other missionary matters which makes it so I can now say I am experienced in my river crossing. 

Aside from the usual, the members here are more than great. Many of them have told me I look very serious, but its mainly because compared to Candelaria, this little village of Allende seems like a ginormous city, and so I'm still a bit lost trying to figure out where I am. You'd think it would be easy since 2 of my limits are water and the other one is just until you stop seeing houses and so I just have to remember practically one street. But its the getting around inside my area that is what gets me. So, I am a bit more quiet just as you would expect any rural boy to act when placed in a city. But, I like it a lot.

I cut Elder Smiley's hair today. The Bishop must have known from the way that I asked him what he thought that I had cut it, seeing as he replied: "It reminds me of when I lived on a ranch. It looks like a donkey ate his head." Haha. The good news is that Elder Smiley said I at least cut it way better than the sister that cut it for him previously, so I figure that's a plus. I still can't get over that his name is :) 

The Bishop's jokes make me wonder about Mexican sarcasm seeing as I was always told it doesn't exsist. But it most definitely does, although it is true that they are not quite used to Andrews humor. The fact that they think I'm very serious and that I tell jokes with a straight face just makes them laugh more. 

On a more spiritual note, the area is great. The members really work dilligently and we are in store for some great things. I can say as Ammon said: Yea, I desire to dwell among this people for a time; yea, and perhaps until the day I die (Alma 17:23).

I am loving the work here. Find joy in what you do, and try to do it well.

Take care of yourselves,
Elder Andrews

Notes:

When he talks about "limits" he means the boundaries of his area.

No comments: