MEXICO VILLAHERMOSA MISSION -- JULY 2012 - 2014
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." 2 Nephi 31:20

Monday, December 2, 2013

To Obey is Better than Sacrifice

To respond to a few general questions first. Yes, you can email me directly to my email. I just had everyone email my mom before because I only had 30 minutes to write in the MTC and was still struggling to find out how to best use the time. The pressure gets to you after a while. But, since we have progressively gotten more and more time, it's fine to email me directly. As long as you don't live inside the limits of my mission and are female. And you can even get around that one if you just ask permission from President first. The point of writing each week is to share your testimony, so there aren't many restrictions on who you should share it with.

A lot of people also ask about my health a lot. I haven't been sick since my first Sunday in Mina. So about 5 months ago. All except for losing my voice once and a slight cold, but that was more fun than getting sick. So don't worry about my health. I eat a lot of Raisin Bran and Wheat Bread. I know mother, I have changed.

This week has been interesting. I have followed up in my Old Testament reading which I had set aside for a while but now I am in 2 Samuel. It is kind of a personal goal to read the Standard Works in Spanish before I finish my mission. I have already read all the others, so the goal should be pretty easy. It is kind of interesting that I learn more from the scriptures in Spanish. Maybe I'll always study my scriptures in Spanish, who knows. I just like reading more in a different language. But, this week I was reading about Samuel the Prophet, Saul the King of Israel, and the annointing of who would soon become King David. While reading through this section one scripture hit me really hard when talking about the downfall of King Saul. (1 Samuel 15:21)

And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.

The Lord had instructed Saul to destroy an entire people and Saul seemed to change his mind just a little bit and think of a way to -- what I think he may have thought-- do it better. But we see very clearly that when it comes to the Lord's commandments and covenants to us there are only two choices we can make. Just like my father always quoted from the Star Wars master Yoda,

"Do, or do not, there is no try."

There is no half way. When it comes to things of the Lord you either do them, or you do not. You either keep the commandments or you do not.

For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. (James 2:10)

You cannot pick which commandments are convenient for you and which promises you choose to keep. Remember that covenants with God will always be set on His terms.

Actually, I'd invite each of you to just read James 2. Think about it and let the Spirit testify to you what you need to do. No one is perfect in this life save Jesus Christ. Let us not fall for the one point in which we offend. 

Make the Change.
No day comes faster than today.

With much love,
Elder Andrews



No comments: