MEXICO VILLAHERMOSA MISSION -- JULY 2012 - 2014
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." 2 Nephi 31:20

Monday, November 25, 2013

Life of a [Missionary]

The mission never gets boing. There is always something new happening. For instance, this week we got called to a Zone Class on Saturday and we went with our district. Which made me realize that our district has the oldest missionaries in the whole Zone. I'm the third oldest in the Zone in terms of time in the mission! Whoops. Its a bit scary to see it that way. But, we got up early so that we could run down to the bus station to catch the 6 AM bus to make the what turned out to be 3 hour trip to Tenosique (where the Zone Leaders live). I say turned out to be because no one knew how long it would take since they just divided the Zone and no one had ever made that trip before. We simply left at 6 because it was the only bus that left. And when I say bus, I mean, Mexican super-mini-van. When we left the bus station we had 5 people inside, but while picking up random people along the way I think we had 30 people inside at one point. It amazes me how it is not ilegal, but I have learned to love it.

So, with that in mind, I will tell you another story where we can see that by not complaining, something was learned, and someone was blessed. My mom was always right about "Your attitude makes the difference" and all that nonesense.

While riding in very crammed space the Zone Leaders called my District Leader who was traveling with me and asked to talk to me (since I still did not have a phone). At about 7:30 they asked me to speak in the Zone class at 9. Normally I would have said no and hung up, especially since I actually had a rule before my mission about denying desperate last second appointments to do something. But, both my Zone Leaders are Brand new so I figured I would help them out and accepted, although I did make sure they knew that they could do better. :P So, I wrote up an instruction class there in the bus. It's a funny thing to imagine, but just imagine how you would study with your books all over a table, well that's what I did in the bus, but my table were random people. It was difficult to write since it was one of the bumpiest roads I think I have ever been on, but somehow I managed to get a few things written down.

When we showed up, we turned out to be the first ones to arrive, which was interesting because we live the farthest away. By a lot. But eventually we got started with the class. Eventually it came my time to talk and I shared a story that I normally always share in: The North Wind and the Sun with DyC 121. It is probably my favorite thing to share, especially since both my Stake Presidents shared it with me before I left on the mission. For the most part, I already shared it with you. But I hope you take from it that in the mission you learn to love on a different level.

The impact of that class I can't really share with you yet, but it was a change you could feel in the room, and things to come in the Zone.

Which brings me to another point. When talking to one Elder a few months ago he told me that when he gets a new companion he usually stays quiet for a few days to try and gage what his new companion is like and adapts to how his companion is. It was a good thought to be able to endure the mission, but to me it didn't seem like quite the right idea to enjoy your mission. When you serve a mission you should never give up on who you and or shape yourself to others, but rather let yourself grow into what the Lord has planned for you. This Elder is one of my good friends, but people that adapt to their surroundings are very boring. You need to be set on who you are. But do not think you are avoiding conformity by denying truth. Otherwise you are conforming with Satan. It may sound odd, but it is true. There are only so many options, and each one has its opposite.

May we all allow the Lord to shape us, and develop the humility to show love to all while on our journey.

Elder Andrews


No comments: