MEXICO VILLAHERMOSA MISSION -- JULY 2012 - 2014
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." 2 Nephi 31:20

Monday, February 18, 2013

Modern-Day Revelation: Words of Wisdom

If anything, I am learning how true the Word of Wisdom is. If only everyone had Colitis they would have to obey it--to the last word. All of the "bad" stuff that people normally think of--drugs, alcohol, coffee, tea--forget about it. If you tried to take those with Colitis you'd be done. Then the red meat and all. Pretty much, mother, you would not recognize me. I eat a bran cereal here called "Fitness", its pretty much Raisin Bran without the Raisins. Best part? I get to use soy milk. Weird right? Well, after a week it is pretty normal. I'm also only allowed to eat toasted bread--which they sell pre-toasted bread here, no one has a toaster. Who knows why, its not the same. Its as hard as a rock. But, lucky for me, one of my friends (Elders) from Carmen decided to leave me his toaster when he went home in January and when Elder Pack heard about it he brought me my toaster! (I left it there cause I was going home, remember?) But yeah, funny story about that is that Elder Pack found that out because he himself got sick again--the same throat thing. And he happened to call Doctor Chablè while I was eating at his house.

So, about all this no that you already know the great details. I am here in an area called "Mercedes y Teapa". That is to say that we cover two areas. This area is also known to be the largest in the mission. I could walk for a whole week and not leave my area. It is a little different from being on an island where there were 5 different "areas" and I could walk to all parts in about 40 minutes. I am here helping to train Elder Sanchez who is from Peru with his first companion, or "dad" as they say, Elder Deem. Elder Deem is going home in two weeks and so it is most likely that Elder Sanchez will soon be my son--not step-son because I would finish his training. Who knows how that all goes. Elder Sanchez has never seen the Emperor's New Groove. I was devistated to hear that as well. Elder Deem is from North Dakota, so, that's kind of weird. But it is what it is.

Things here are going really well for us. Since you really have not heard much from me, two General Authorities of the Church have visited the mission. Elder Russell M. Nelson came and if I could share one thing that he said it would be this quote, often recited by Obispo Chablè:

"We have trials to learn to use our agency". 

Or, in other words, we get to suffer a little to see how we choose to handle it. From a talk I love, "The Lord Requireth the Heart" it says that out experiences don't make us who we are, but rather how we choose to react to them.

Elder Johnson, President of Area Mexico also said that we have got to study your scriptures and pray daily in order to not be left behind in this great work. Please make sure you are in good standing with that.

As for random other things, well, life is good. I learned where there is a churro stand and I'm allowed to eat them once a week. Bishop even gave me one of his today. :P So, I can't eat the hamburgers or pizzas or tacos I would want to, but its all good, cause at least I have churros once in a while. Well, sometime soon. We keep getting too busy I haven't had time to go buy some even though its on the way to the house...

Stay strong family and friends,
God Bless You All,
Elder Andrews

Elder Andrews, Elder Deem, and Elder Sanchez.

No comments: