MEXICO VILLAHERMOSA MISSION -- JULY 2012 - 2014
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." 2 Nephi 31:20

Friday, July 13, 2012

"Remember Lot's Wife"

So this week has been pretty interesting. To start off, every day, I have thought that it was a day later (ex. I thought Tuesday was Wednesday and so forth). I couldn't get it out of my head. Maybe it's just because I am super excited to get my Spanish scriptures back (I turned them in to get them engraved). I still lose track of time here at the MTC and it still seems long, but not really in a bad way anymore. Everything seems like one long day. It's hard to remember what happened each day, but I'll try to see what I can do about that later. Did I mention my preparation day is on Friday? Cause it is.
Yesterday I got some food in the mail from Rachael, and also Kari. Elder Cox was eyeing it and so I offered to share with him later. But he just declined and said, "No thanks, its my favorite thing to watch you eat." And then he smiled. Haha. We have a similar sense of humor sometimes that makes certain situations unbearably funny. Especially in Spanish. When we say stuff in Spanish everything just gets so much more funny.
Also, for our service activity on Tuesday(?), we cleaned the bathrooms. I now have a hightened gratitude for my shower shoes! I honestly cannot go in the bathroom without them anymore. I feel bad for missionaries that just don't bother. But they'll feel bad about it too, later. :P Another odd thing that I noticed about the bathrooms here is that there are no urinals in the residence halls. Only stalls. At first I was kind of annoyed, but once I realized what the food here does to you, I became very thankful. I am loving the chocolate milk, but I have to take some meals just with water--just to stay safe.
Hanging out with the district makes things a lot more fun and entertaining. The first few days we were all kind of lost so we sat alone. But meals together are the best. Except, we've had a heated debate over the past few days. One of the sisters that always ends up sitting near us (I think) looks like Christine from Phantom of the Opera. But half of our district thinks Christine has black hair and the other thinks she has dark brown hair in the movie. This Hermana has brown hair, so we are still conflicted between whether or not she looks like Christine or not. Hermana May, who is a sister in our district, came to the table a little bit late the first day we were talking about this and thought we were comparing her to THE Phantom of the Opera. She felt so bad before we could explain to her what is really going on. It's weird eating meals with the Hermanas because its pretty taboo to talk to them if they aren't in your district (which is why we can't ask HER what she thinks). Trivial problems I suppose.
Anyway, I met with my Branch President here, President Evans. He is a way cool guy and he gave me the scripture that I put as the subject, "Remember Lot's wife." (Luke 17:32). I love how you can take scriptures in so many different dirrections. Cause this could mean so many things, but most recently it seems to me, not to look back longingly when you know that you are going in the direction you are supposed to. The next scripture is also pretty powerful, so if you get a chance you could read it too.
I really don't have much time to write letters (sorry), so if you write me, please be happy with maybe one back a week. But also, I would love to know all of your favorite scriptures (Mormon or not). Don't really want scripture mastery verses, but something more unique that means something special to each of you, and maybe why (if you don't mind sharing). I am marking all of them in my scriptures (hopefully) in orange (just cause I had orange). Also, I think it would be cool to have a little piece of each of you to remember in my scriptures. Maybe I'll feel so impressed to share your experiences with an investigator? Who knows. So if you want to write a little insert for me to tuck into my scriptures and send that to me, I might even keep it there next to your verse.
I'm sorry I'm not sending pictures, we still haven't figured out how to with all the safeguards on these computers. So, maybe you won't get any until Mexico, sorry. But I will see what we can do.
Another topic at lunch our district likes to talk about is Math (specifically Calculus), and maybe some Chemistry thrown in there. So, knowing this, please don't judge me for thinking about what color someone's hair was in a movie. Elder Molovidov (a more athletic Elder) and I just kind of sit there and eat quietly when the Math comes up. "This isn't my idea of fun" (From "Swan Princess", yes Derek) comes up a few times in my head. But it's more funny now. It's weird hearing people sing more "popular" music here. I swear an Elder was singing from "Grease" in the shower today. Lol
Elder Molovidov and I have consequently gotten pretty close. We have a weird connection. Turns out he and Elder Castro lived in Wyview too, just the next building over. And they were both in my mission prep class. And I actually talked to Elder Molovidov after class once. Also, Chaille Jensen, a girl I went to Smith Jr. High with in Arizona (who also went to BYU) seemed to be interested in both Elder Molovidov and me. Keyword: seemed. She would always text us wanting to hang out and whatnot, and we would text back for a while and all of a sudden she wouldn't text back until about 2 am....a few days later. So it was funny to hear that the exact same girl stood us both up in the same way, at the same time. So Elder Molovidov and I took a picture together, and Derek, you'll need to post it to her FaceBook wall. :o
Anyway, my time is up. I hope you all know that I love you. And most of all that your Savior, Jesus Christ loves you.
Your son, brother, friend,
Elder Caleb Andrews

No comments: