MEXICO VILLAHERMOSA MISSION -- JULY 2012 - 2014
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." 2 Nephi 31:20

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Letter #1

So, today is my first time I get to write home. We have a half preparation day, but my real preparation day will be on Fridays. I only have 30 minutes to email, so letters are better to contact me by (the computer literally counts down). Not going to lie though, the MTC is nothing like what I thought it would be. There is so much run around, I hardly have time to think. We are already not allowed to speak in [English] which is discouraging because now I can't talk to the only person that I can talk to (if that makes sense). My companion is Elder Cox. He is from West Virginia around Fairfield. He platyed lacrosse but he said he platyed [sic] left-side attack (lol). We are pretty different actually, but we get along well. Its [sic] very nice to have him as a companion because we already have the same bathroom schedule! The other day we were both headed to the bathroom and I went in first. I came out and said "Buena suerte, Elder.["] Another elder washing his hands nearby just started cracking up. So I suppose our limited command of the Spanish language is comical.

I don't know how in the world I am going to make it through 9 weeks here. I wish I were already in the field experiencing everything. They say it gets better after Sunday, but still... Rather just be there. I'm almost envious of the English speaking elders, cause they aren't even here for a full 3 weeks. I ran into one of the lax kids the first day so that was cool, but he's headed to Tempe, AZ so he won't be here long. I also ran into Nate Frandsen a few times in the cafeteria (he was my college roomate headed to France). I wish I were in the advanced class so I could move on faster, but I have a feeling my Spanish will really benefit from being here longer.

They gave me so many books, its [sic] ridiculous. I don't know where they expect me to put them when I head to Mexico. Also, I'm sorry if my English doesn't make a whole lot of sense now, or down the road because I am pretty out of practice already. I am writing in my journal more than ever since I have no one to talk to. I suppose its good, but at the same time, pretty rough and sad.

I forgot to mention that Elder Cox is headed to Veracruz Mexico, and the others in my district are headed to Ecuador (where William went, but I'm not going to embarass myself by trying to spell it) and 3 others are headed to Portland, Oregon (Spanish-speaking). So, I still haven't met anyone that is headed to my mission, but when I told my teacher where I was headed her eyes lit up. So I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but she went on with something about there being a lot of work to do there (I think). All of my teachers are native Mexican Hermanas. Class is fun, but I have so much to learn and there is so much to process that it gets pretty discouraging.

One elder told me that the days feel like weeks and the weeks feel like days. I suppose thats [sic] true, cause I'm three days into this and it feels like I've been here for years. These 9 long weeks seem like they will never end.

A member from the MTC Presidency was in our room last night when we all left to brush our teeth. He kind of repremanded [sic] us for listening to music (EFY Soundtrack from 1999, thanks Derek :P ). It seemed odd because it was while we were getting ready for bed but before quiet time. But, you gotta listen to him. He said we possibly would not have a time in the MTC to listen to music at all. And then that's for our Mission President to decide on when we are in the field. So that is very discouraging since I enjoy listening to something as I fall asleep. It is definitely harder to get to sleep here and I think all the sleep has just made me more tired.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from you all. You can use DearElder.com (or something like that) to write me for free. I'll try and write back, but I don't seem to really have time for anything at all. Also, stamps here are 45 centavos. I feel like that is high. Is it not? Who knows.

Today, we have to teach our first investigator, Juan Carlos. It will definitely be interesting. We also have to prepare a talk each sunday [sic] because our Branch President just picks out people right before. Everything has to be in Spanish, of course. These first few days have probably been the hardest times of my life, and I hardly feel like I have time to do anything. We have gym time in the middle of the day, so we have to get ready twice a day.

I hope to hear how all of you are doing. Hopefully well. Also, I don't know what address to write Kiahna back at... I guess I'll wait until they are back in CO? Well, my time is up.

Con amor,
Elder Caleb Andrews

Translations:

Buena suerte, Elder. = Good luck, Elder.
Hermanas = Sisters
centavos = cents
Con amor = With love

Note:

William went to Guayaquil Ecuador South

No comments: