MEXICO VILLAHERMOSA MISSION -- JULY 2012 - 2014
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." 2 Nephi 31:20

Monday, January 6, 2014

New Year, New Companion

Not even 2 hours after I had emailed you all last week, I got a call saying that we got special transfers. Elder Rime was headed to an area closer to Villahermosa, closer to President. To keep it simple, Elder Rime had a rough time adjusting to the missionary life and the help he needed could not be found here in the corner of the mission in Candelaria. So, they sent him near President, and hopefully he fairs better there and can stay in the mission. I did everything I could for him, which I'm not so sure he noticed, but down the road, if he continues, he will start to figure it out.

So, on the 31st of December we headed out at 5 AM to get to Villahermosa. Getting there turned out to be the easy part. Getting back, not so much. We got to Villa at about noon. And who had they put in charge of the transfers? None other than my pal, Elder Rangel. It was good to see him, and he'll be Elder Rime's new Zone Leader, so I explained to him all he needed to know to be able to help out my son.

There waiting for me was my new companion as well, Elder Segura. Turns out I had already met him when I went to pick up Elder Rime, but he has 9 months in the mission now. Since there was no chance of me getting to eat lunch we decided to stop by the Subway sandwich shop there in the ADO bus station. Especially since none of that exists in Candelaria. Haha. There we met a lady that was struggling to order a sandwich. By her Spanish I had assumed that she was American and offered to help.

Turns out she sat down where my companions suitcases were saving our spots so we talked to her a little more. Well, I did because Elder Segura doesn't speak English. Turns out she is from Russia, her dad is Orthodox, her mom is Muslim and she doesn't believe in God. I became much more thankful to be here in Mexico where everyone at least claims they believe in God even thought for the most part none go to Church.

So, if I made the trip just to learn that one lesson, it was probably worth it. But, getting home New Years' Eve and Day was a story. We had to sleep halfway in Tenosique with the Zone Leaders where we actually had a great time since my friend Elder Frazier also lives with them and he bought piñatas to burst open at night.

Then the next day we had to take a taxi to the, well, it's not even a bus station, its literally an intersection where the mini van stops. Some said it was not going to come. Others said it had already came. Mainly to get us to pay more to go with them. Then it really did show up and since there where only three of us, it wasn't going to make the trip. But it made its way and only took us half way to El Triunfo. From there we had to take taxi for an extra hour. Long days of travel. All just to get to my area to start. Ha, I love it.

So much has happened, ups and downs, but we are pushing through it. Brando and Lorenzo are getting baptized this Saturday. Still looking for white clothes big enough for Brando, and he asked me to baptize him, so I'll have to do a few push ups this week.

Love you all,
Elder Andrews

No comments: