MEXICO VILLAHERMOSA MISSION -- JULY 2012 - 2014
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." 2 Nephi 31:20

Monday, April 22, 2013

After a Week of Waiting

Yes, I went to Palenque last week. It was pretty cool and even cooler that we went with a member so it was virtually free and we didn't lose so much time in travel. It was actually Bishop Chablé's birthday last week, and I'm still not sure why he didn't come with us, but his wife did. Note to all of you, if you go to Palenque go with a guide. Unfortunately, a lot of the cool artifacts are gone and all, so it just a bunch of temples. It's cool [though] because you can climb up almost all of them, but it wasn't as cool as La Venta because we didn't have it all to ourselves like we did when Elder Deem and I went there. Upon entering, one English tour guide convinced an old couple that the plants had been shipped in from Hawaii. It was fun walking behing other tour guides and translating for everyone in our group. Sadly, we only did it when they came to us. I'm still honest, mother. Upon entering the park the second time (long story) a little native boy asked Elder Cabral and I if we wanted a guide. We politely told him no, but he started screaming at us and told us we weren't going to enjoy our visit because the rocks don't talk! Long story short, it was an enjoyable trip. 

The work has treated us a little more rough this week with appointments falling through and all of that good stuff. So I'll opt to share a little of Mexican culture with you that I haven't been able to get around to. 

It is very common to burn your trash here in your yard.

Every New Year's Eve, the people make a form of a person with a shirt, pants, etc. and stuff it with explosives (they call them fireworks, but it really just explodes. A lot). It called "El Viejo" (the old man) and symbolizes the death or end of the year. It's pretty cool. 

For your birthday you always get your face slammed in the cake. And yes, people eat it afterward... (P.S. For my Colitis I didn't have a cake. So my face is still clean. :)  )

Also for your birthday, people throw flour at you for fun. Since I'm a missionary I dodged that one too. 

This week we were invited to a Quinceñera (a sweet 16, just for 15 year olds here). We quickly realized its not a place for missionaries. Whoops. So we headed out early without trying to be too rude. It's a Catholic tradition practiced by really everyone (Catholic or not) to present the young women to society. 

Here, instead of saying "Bless You" you say "salud" which in English is "health". Having a companion with allergies makes this one very common. 

Also, his Mission Manual says he suffers from "alergia" (allergies) but looking at it quickly I saw "alegría" (happiness). So now Elder Cabral suffers from happiness. Whoops.

Also, I've been sleeping in a hammock every day in the 20th year of my life. It is the lifesaver of our house since we only have one fan for the both of us. Except for it rained. So we got really really cold. See the photo for the story of Elder Cabral on the floor. When I woke up I saw him on the floor and asked him if he fell. He said, no, he got really cold. I guess he got a little lazy to get up and turn off the fan. Haha. 

I love you all, and I'll come back with something good to tell you. Stay strong.

Elder Andrews

Elder Andrews in his hammock. 
Elder Cabral on the floor under his hammock to avoid the fan.

No comments: