MEXICO VILLAHERMOSA MISSION -- JULY 2012 - 2014
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." 2 Nephi 31:20

Monday, October 29, 2012

On The Island

Dear Friends and Family,

So, here I am still on the island. We had a hurricane this last week. I didn't know until Oswaldo (one of our converts) told us a few days later. The Yucatan kind of protects us from all the terrible-ness of that. So, I just thought it rained--which is really all that happened. But, I can say I worked in a hurricane, that's cool, right? Speaking of rain, I guess that is a big deal since it hardly rains on the island (that is, in comparison to Villahermosa). But we are in another hurricane right now--meaning, it rained today. I walked through water that would go up to your shins, but developed a skill to kick the water before your foot lands--kind of like a really fast tippy-toe. Long story short, I crossed two streets like that completely dry. Not quite walking on water, but I'm not professing to be Jesus, just a disciple, so I'll count it.

Things here in the mission changed. And, from what I understand correctly, the world. As of Friday, I am no longer to go tracting. To go contacting. Knocking on doors. (Quite honestly, I wasn't any good at that in the first place). But, we are to focus our efforts on the members, active and inactive, to strengthen their testimonies and find references through them. It's awesome cause we have so much to do, but a bit of a bummer because we can't do much until someone gets active. So, the transition is a bit rocky still, but we'll get there. So, the members can't call us flojos (lazy people), but it is now the other way around, so watch out.

Due to the change, our numbers of lessons (and really everything) dropped severely this week. Not only did that change, but we lost all our investigators. So, we really are starting fresh. But, the change is awesome because now you can see the gospel in action more. I fixed a cement mixer of a recent convert. How did I do it? To tell you the truth I have no idea. I checked the oil, checked the gas, gave it a crank, and there it went. All this after the member had labored to exhaustion with us watching. So, I helped him mix cement afterwards. I've never felt more like a missionary mixing all that cement in a shirt and tie. Well, except for when we ride standing straight up in the back of a member's fruit truck. That is a blast. Especially with Mexico traffic. It is so crazy it untied Elder Andrade's tie. A few times actually. I'm grateful I tie a nice knot.

Love you all,
Elder Andrews

Translation:
flojos = lazy people

No comments: